Dacity.Com

Online Dating

Monopolized

Tonight (Well, this morning. I've yet to enlighten my pillow this bulky thing attached to my neck.), I've decided to start a topic in which is more interesting to all the world and a little less political - Online dating.

Personally, I've been in a couple of online relationships (Please note the past tense) and I've met them all in the "real world". None of which seemed exactly as I imagined they would be; however, personality wise, they were as I expected. As you can see, though, It's never gone very far. Personally, I enjoy actually living near a person, no long-distance phone bills, and/or being with them in more than an emotional and psychological sense. There again, maybe it's just me.

Having said that, I'm not stating I'm against online dating - whatever floats your boat, I say. But what do you all think about the subject? Does it really work?

:flirt:  - Monopolized

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the 'online' relationship, which is LD, via cell phone (reduces ld charges greatly)..  I just plain out love her.  She's like a female version of me, and we just get along so well.  It's eerie at times.  And I think she knows how I feel even though at times she's like "you want me to let you go hun?" and I have to fuss at her because she knows better.   It's love.  Can't help it.

(v)

I believe that on-line dating has potential to work out.  However, in my experience, and in the experience of the majority of people that I know that have "tried" on-line dating, it has worked for a time, but ultimately it is rather unsuccessful.  Talking strictly on-line leaves room for much misunderstanding...at least for me.  Things that are said can be misconstrued.  I know that on-line dating just isn't my thing.  Anyway...yes, I believe on-line dating can work...but I think that it works better if you have the means to communicate also via phone and, of course, in person.  I have a need to be able to be in front of that person at least semi-regularly and observe.  Body language and whatnot keeps me sane when the words aren't doing their job.

On this note, where do we all stand on the addiction of the internet.

Every day, I see jobless people on the internet chatting about how they're going to find a job...tomorrow. Tomorrow comes around, they're chatting about job hunting, again, tomorrow.

I love chatting just as much as the next person; however, I know virtual FROM reality. Besides, I enjoy going to work everyday. No, I may not love my job but it makes every single day different - it gives my life more character.

But what about these people who can't seem to get enough of the virtual world? Is this a sickness and is it easy to get caught up in the "make believe" world?

I think internet addiction can be very serious in some instances.  You can get so caught up in what's happening in your "online" circle of friends, that you forget what's happening in the real world.  The internet isn't BAD though.  It's a great leap in technological advancement, but you really shouldn't be on 25 hours a day/ 8 days a week.  That leaves you negative time to find a job.  ;-)

Internet addiction can be bad.  When I'm at home, the internet isn't a big deal for me.  I'd rather go out.  However, here at school I don't function well without the internet.  There aren't many places that I can go "just to hang out"...except other apartments...and that isn't extremely exciting.  My computer was down for about 3 or 4 days last semester and I was not a happy camper.  It's kind of ridiculous how dependent we [college students] are on the internet.  People rarely call each other anymore...it's all about IMing.  People spend 30 minutes checking away messages.  I don't know how I feel yet because I too am extremely dependent on the internet and my computer.

Announcements

Important Information

Terms of Use