Dacity.Com

New host for "Late Night"

Wolfie

Who should be the new host for "Late Night"?  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the passing of the torch from Jay Leno to Conan O'Brien, it's now a matter of finding a replacement for Late Night, one of the many choices being Ellen DeGeneres. I honestly think she would be one of the best choices for the job as her resume for acting, humor and good personality are already well known, not to mention the fact that she has a popular talk show that has only been on the air for one season (now entering its second season). With the following that she has already, combined with her comedic talent, she would be able to re-invent the late nights and shoot the ratings through the roof. To see Conan with his cheesey comedy followed by DeGeneres with her youthful like humor would be a 2 hour blast of fun. The only forseen regret of having DeGeneres in that position is that by the time Conan would retire, even if it were to be in 15 years (from taking over, 20 years from now), DeGeneres would be into her 60's, and very unlikely to be able to take over The Tonight Show to give it her own form of life. That concern aside, she truly would be a wonderful replacement for taking over Conan's position when he moves into Leno's spot.

If it were to be someone besides Ellen DeGeneres, I would hope that they don't give it to Carson Daly or most anyone over the age of 30 (again referring to Conan stepping down, even if 20 years from *now*, they would be 50, possibly the oldest to be able to take over The Tonight Show and keep the position for at least 10 years). It would be interesting to see either Drew Barrymore, Jay McGraw (Dr. Phil's son) or even Wil Smith (even though he's over 30) to take the spot. They each have their own strong following and style that would keep the late nights alive. Of course, McGraw would probably be the last choice, but I'm sure he could pull it off despite his lack of a comedic background.

Wil Smith, with his wide range of talents, would probably be able to hold the show all on his own and be able to do his own music. He's one of the best talents in entertainment today and anyone who dislikes his work doesn't know talent when they see it. He's demonstrated his music talent as early as the 1980's (Parents Just Don't Understand which he did the theme song for as well), and his acting/comic talent in the 1990's (Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). He's even shown further talent by taking on movie roles and even producing music for those movies, such as Men In Black and Wild Wild West. He's very well accomplished, has a great personality and is respected by many people as can be noticed anytime he is on tv.

Drew Barrymore has shown that she is very capable of holding her own and reaching goals that regular people would never dream of being able to accomplish. She's had a troubled past involving drugs and sex scandals during her teen (and even pre-teen) years, and now, she produces movies, let alone acts in them. She's known for having a very cheerful personality and is loved by many. Even if she were to have a terrible first season as a talk show host, I'm sure her ratings would be through the roof with people admiring her efforts and her work to see her into a second season, where she would probably be experienced enough to hold the show down on her own without relying on her background to bring in ratings. Then, 20 years from now, presuming Conan were to step down at that time, she would be 49, and if she were to move onto The Tonight Show, she should be able to work into her 60's with a strong following and would be the first female to become a permanent host of the show.

Another option would Katie Couric, who hosted The Tonight Show one time when she swapped places with Leno as an NBC publicity stunt. The show that night was alive and the ratings were through the roof. She's beautiful, always smiling, has shown her ability to deliver punch lines and is well known on NBC. She would probably be able to carry on a late night show very successfully and have ratings that would set higher standards for the timeslot. Unfortunately, as with Ellen DeGeneres, she wouldn't be able to move onto The Tonight Show, as she is 47 now.

Others would include Kevin Smith or Ross the Intern (Ross Matthews). Kevin Smith is best known for writing/directing movies such as Clerks and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, both of which have huge followings. He's one of the rare people who is down to earth with that "out there" sense of humor that can make just about anyone laugh. Clerks, for those that haven't seen it, is FILLED with many jokes that can take you 3 or more viewings to get, because they are so cleverly planted that you might miss them at first. In fact, if you go out and buy (yes BUY, not rent) the DVD, if you need to be distracted for ANY reason at all, then PAUSE the movie. When you return, back the movie up by 1 minute and then resume. The reason for this is that it is very easy to miss something that is the seed for a joke later on. A small part of the humor is directly slapstick, some other humor is indirectly "in your face", but that's those are the jokes that you have to be paying attention to get it. Needless to say, a person with a low IQ will watch the movie and think the movie is a piece of crap, even if they watch it 5 or more times. I've seen it several times so far, and every time I either rediscover a joke I forgot, or I notice one that I didn't pick up on before. It's one of the best written/directed movies there is, and Smith actually plays a character in the movie, which is like an added bonus.

Ross the Intern (Ross Matthews) is another loveable person that could probably hold down a late night talk show on his own. He's already got his own show called The Ross Show which will be airing on Bravo (don't know when yet though), and since Bravo is owned by NBC, it wouldn't be that difficult for him to switch over. He is showingly gay (although he might not be gay, doesn't matter either way) and his voice is hard to miss and I'm not sure how old he is, but I'm certain his age is around 25 to 30 (if not younger), so he would be able to easily take over The Tonight Show years down the road and by then probably have a following of fans that would keep it going for a good run until he passes it onto the next person.

No matter who takes it over after Conan, they are unlikely to be the host for it's 100th year anniversary, since it's 50th was this past Monday (9/27), so it's 100th would be in 2054, meaning that the future host, if they are even born yet, is very likely under the age of 10 right now. Thats with things following the same trend, and the host of The Tonight Show being no older than 50 when taking over the show (and very likely retiring from the show in their mid 60's at the oldest). Be interesting to be alive to witness the 100th year anniversary, and if it should make it to that point, I certainly hope that whoever is the host at that time is someone respectable.

Ok, so I've babbled on long enough.. Anyone else have ideas for the next host of The Tonight Show and/or Late Night??

I picked Drew Barrymore.

Drew Barrymore has shown that she is very capable of holding her own and reaching goals that regular people would never dream of being able to accomplish. She's had a troubled past involving drugs and sex scandals during her teen (and even pre-teen) years, and now, she produces movies, let alone acts in them. She's known for having a very cheerful personality and is loved by many. Even if she were to have a terrible first season as a talk show host, I'm sure her ratings would be through the roof with people admiring her efforts and her work to see her into a second season, where she would probably be experienced enough to hold the show down on her own without relying on her background to bring in ratings. Then, 20 years from now, presuming Conan were to step down at that time, she would be 49, and if she were to move onto The Tonight Show, she should be able to work into her 60's with a strong following and would be the first female to become a permanent host of the show.

I think she'd make a great host, and maybe bring some life and freshness into the night-time talk shows. And she'll also make a fine role-model for our troubled youth nowadays, proof that if you screw up you can still become strong and accomplished.

-granny

• 3 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use