Dacity.Com

Problem:

Computer, running Windows XP SP2, seems to be halting randomly with the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). One of the messages/reasons listed was "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". Upon doing a search, one of the common solutions is that the RAM is going bad. Ok, ran a memory checker, took over 90 minutes, and everything was fine. So far as I can tell, the solution was related to another BSOD that I got, "BAD_POOL_HEADER", which was to turn of the Fast Indexing Service. (This is NOT the order of events but I won't get into that).

One of the resources directs me to Microshafts site with this url: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291806&sd=RMVP

In it, there is this note near the bottom:

If you receive this error message randomly, or when you try to start a program, remove extra memory or have the random access memory (RAM) in your computer tested. This behavior may occur if you have bad RAM.

If I receive it randomly or when I try to start a program. Um, DUH? Like it's going to give me a schedule of when it's going to happen? And how am I supposed to know when it's starting to run one of it's billions of itty bitty codes?

Come on, to me it's random, so how about being a bit more specific?!? Also what if it's not random? What if by some strange miracle of unknown science, I can predict when one of these crashes will occur or if I know how to make it happen, THEN what do I do?

It's no surprise to me that in a soon enough time, Linux will more than likely take over as the leading O.S., especially once it becomes as supported as Windows (with being able to run Windows programs natively as well as software written for Windows also being made for Linux). Then Microshaft will get the shaft themselves.

My solution: Microshaft needs to hire people who want information that isn't as mysterious or unhelpful as the problem. Random indeed.

If you receive this error message randomly, or when you try to start a program, remove extra memory or have the random access memory (RAM) in your computer tested. This behavior may occur if you have bad RAM.
If I receive it randomly or when I try to start a program. Um, DUH? Like it's going to give me a schedule of when it's going to happen?

I think they just meant as opposed to it happening when you run a certain program, path, file, etc :P

That was part of the question you doof. My interpretation of it is "does it happen under either of these conditions? if so then..." so it's like asking me if it happens randomly or not randomly, in a way. Still though, it's hard to know if it's random or not because it could be the same thing causing it (same program, for example) that may be getting run in the background. They don't account for that or offer a way to try to check into it. In this instance, that was the cause because ever since I turned off indexing on the computer, it's been running with no problems.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use