Dacity.Com

Jay Leno & Conan O'Brien

Wolfie

What is your opinion on Jay Leno leaving in 2009?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok with the announcement of Jay Leno retiring from The Tonight Show in 2009, the media has gone completely nuts with theories, rumors, comments, and so on making it seem like there is something that is being withheld from the public about what is really happening.

What am I talking about? Well, one of many rumors is that Leno is being squeezed out of his position. If he were being "let go", then why in 5 more years? Why not just make it a sudden change that happens overnight? Most people in the world that get axed with advanced notice end up becomig suicidal (job wise) in that they will disregard the rules and do as they please. After all, if they are already getting fired, what's the worst that could happen besides getting fired sooner? Think about it, if you were told that you will be allowed to work for another 5 months but then you are going to be let go after that, and someone you know will take over your position... Would you work the 5 months as a valued employee who has job security -or- would you figure on plotting for a month and then start doing more and more stuff that would normally get you fired real fast? If you're going to get fired anyway, you have nothing to lose. May as well do what you want, and if the powers that be don't like it, either they put up with it, or they fire you off sooner. Wouldn't really be able to blame you either, because that'd be like aiming a loaded gun at someone and telling them that they're going to die in 10 minutes. Would YOU just let it happen? I know I wouldn't. If I'm going to die anyway, then I'd rather go down in style.

Another rumor is that since there was a big dispute over who should take over after Carson, that NBC wanted to make that decision a few years in advance to prevent that from happening again. What NBC is forgetting though is that David Letterman wasn't (and isn't) liked by too many people. He has his following of loyal fans, but between the two, Leno was the better choice (without a doubt). One of the things that I believe turned people off about Letterman was that he seemed to feel he was owed things. This came to light when he started to act like a big spoiled baby because he didn't get The Tonight Show that he thought belonged to him. Conan has expressed extreme gratitude for being given the position and in a way that shows that he sincerely believes that it's an honor and not a right to become a permanent host for the show.

I honestly think that Jay is leaving by his own choice and is probably wanting to do other things that he can't really do while hosting The Tonight Show.

So who has other opinions or comments on this matter?

I honestly think that Jay is leaving by his own choice and is probably wanting to do other things that he can't really do while hosting The Tonight Show.

I guess that's quite true.

Moreover, I think that Conan's humor seems closer to that of Letterman's rather than to that of Jay Leno. So it's like the god of nasty things in humour has taken revenge of Leno's winning the job in the beginning.

First of all, I always thought Letterman was better than Leno. Conan will be a good replacement for Leno because of two reasons. 1) It's the Tonight Show, you can't get any better than that, and 2) Conan has an edge to him (like Letterman) that can possibly lure Letterman's fans over to the Tonight Show. Whoever decided to do this, whether it was Leno or the producers of the show know what they are doing.

There's something to be said (that's good) for someone who can poke fun at one of our nations biggest problems and have people laughing at it while being bluntly honest about it..

I'm speaking of how he constantly gripes about how we as a nation are becoming increasingly fat and lazy..

Liquid donuts (ie, drinkable donuts) - we are becoming so lazy that we don't want to chew our food.

Fridge with a built in TV - since we're always eating and watching tv, why not eliminate the little bit of exercise we get from walking from one to the other?

there have been loads of other examples, all of which he has said in just that right way where you know it's the truth (sadly) but in itself it is funny.

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think your theory sounds about right. I think he just wants to do something else. And of course, it is several years away still, who knows what will happen.

I personally love Conan but it feels like maybe he is a bit too "weird" for most people? Of course that may be here in Sweden only, we're not generally big fans of weird.

I am though.

Important Information

Terms of Use