Dacity.Com

[OLD]The man with the hat

SoBeLiz

I would like to begin by stating that Internet Explorer is EVIL.  I already typed up a response to this and IE had to go and screw up on me...so here it goes again...

1 can see 2 and 3.  If both 2 and 3 were wearing white hats, then 1 would know that he and 4 were wearing black hats.  Likewise, if 2 and 3 were wearing black hats, then 1 would know that he and 4 were wearing white hats.  In either case, he would be free to speak up and correctly state what color hat he is wearing.  But that's too easy...so let's assume that 1 sees that 2 is wearing a white hat and 3 is wearing a black hat or vice versa.  That would leave 1 wondering whether he was wearing a white hat or a black hat.  In this case, he cannot say anything or they will be killed.  When 2 realizes that 1 isn't going to say anything, he can conclude that he is not wearing the same color hat as 3.  Because he can see 3's hat, then 2 will know that whichever hat 3 is wearing, he is wearing the other color.  So, 2 can correctly state which hat color he is wearing.  Unless of course 1 is suicidal and cares nothing for the lives of others and is just messing with them...then they're all in trouble...and that would stink!

I hope I didn't typed everything up correctly and that it all made sense.

• 1 year later...
style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif man number 4 says he is wearing...some color hat...if he is right...then they all live...if he is wrong then he gets killed...then... man number 1 will know 100% what color hat he is wearing...there is a possibility that someonedies...but...at least 3 will live...i think that does it. style_emoticons/default/bud.gif

• 6 years later...

Important Information

Terms of Use