Dacity.Com

Religions and Beliefs

Monopolized

I've read stories on a gay man raised as a Mormon. Upon coming out of "the closet", his parents notified the church - wanted them to "take care" of the problem. He was forced to witness vulgar videos, look at "dirty material", and even endure shock therapy. In result, he was eventually forced out of the church.

This man has been left with physical and emotional scars.

Some religions almost focus all their attention on the homosexual aspect of the world - they attack it, hate it, and they feed off proclaiming its "demented being". In this instance, their attempts to convert this man did more harm than good, in my opinion.

My point: Do you think it's okay to be gay and Christian, Catholic, Jewish, etc.? And do you agree with the measures this church went through to convert this man?

Also, how do you think a church community should deal with a homosexual in their church gatherings?

- Monopolized

I think what happened (that you described) is just wrong.  Not saying that homosexuality is right or wrong, but anytime someone is going to be "reprogrammed", it shouldn't be in a GROUP such as that.  It's turning the person INTO a lab rat almost.

And to SHOW such hatred, when the church is supposed to SHOW and endorse love, is just scary.

On that note, they're contradicting everything they not only teach but believe as well - in my opinion, of course.

How are you suppose to SHOW an example of your "holy" self if you can't practice what you preach?

Religion aside, isn't it illegal to treat a human in this manner?

Tsk, Tsk

:stare:

:flirt:  - Monopolized

If they hold him against his will, especially if after the age of 18, and without any approved authority (ie, doctor exercising restraining due to lack of patients own mental abilities, etc), then that is extremely illegal.  It's like a mob attack.

I don't believe that any one has the authority to state once and for all that homosexuality is right or wrong.  I personally do not have an issue with those that are homosexual.  It's not like they woke up one day and said "Hey!  I think I want to be homosexual starting today."  I believe that people just are...and you can't blame them for being who they are.  But if you decide that you want to reprimand them for being a homosexual, then you better start attacking me for being born female.  I mean, sure I could go pretend to be male, but ultimately I'm a girl, and that's that.  Likewise, a homosexual person could be "forced" to suppress their real self and date those of the opposite sex...but ultimately it's more than likely that their feelings won't truly and fully exist in those relationships.

As I have said before, I do believe in God, but that's where I leave it.  Some people will say that I'm not a true Christian.  You know what...I don't really care much.  I don't believe that my friends that are very religious are any better than me...although I have felt at times that they believe they are better than me.  And it bothers me that they may, for some reason, think they are better than me, because in my eyes, I am a good person.  I don't need to attend church one, two, or even three times a week to know the difference between right and wrong.  Not that there is anything wrong with attending church regularly.  I used to wish that I did...but now I know that I don't need to conform to the routine of my friends in ORDER to be a decent human being.

I feel that the treatment of that man was VERY wrong...and I think that's all I need to say about that.

As far as how I feel about the way the church should react to homosexuals in church gatherings...I know that there are people that are accepting of homosexuals...and that's great.  I feel that they should let the people be at the gathering unless they are causing an uproar.  If the people are there to worship or whatever, then I believe it is their right to do so.  If they're trying to cause a scene, then tastefully ask them to leave.

Grant you, I don't know much about any religion. I don't go to church and loathe anyone who tries to make me. They seem to like the "you're going to heck, if you don't don't go to chruch" approach. If I'm not mistaken, it's against their religion to have that approach (speaking of Christians) as, FROM what I understand, God doesn't want to "scare" anyone INTO being a Christian.

Having said that, I don't want to know about any religions. In my opinion, that would be "categorizing" me yet again - I have enough of that in my life. Besides, I believe it to be better to know nothing. The less you know, the more you understand who you are and what you truly believe.

I don't need to go to church to believe, love, pray in/to God. It's just another building, in my eyes. Even if there were proven evidence - or God, Jesus, Buddha, Ronald McDonald, whoever it may be themselves - were to surface and/or come before me to tell me everything that were true, if anything, I still wouldn't go to church.

You see, I'm all about respect and individualism - that's my thing. And I see all these people (individuals) crowding in a building every Wednesday, Sunday, whenever their meetings may be, and then they go home and curse like sailors, cheat on their wives/husbands, lie, steal, etc. Do I really want to aid that kind of behavior? No, I think not.

I went to the hospital not long ago and, inappropriately, they asked me what religion I was. As I'm more Christian in the public's eye, I answered. This up-nerved me, though. First of all, I had to be searched to enter to hospital - along with everyone else. Secondly, they ask me what religion I am - does effect my health? Is it for safety reasons? In the event I should die, they'd have a chaplain, minister, whatever there? Not sure about you, but I can hold my own - I don't need anyone to help me, thank you though. Thirdly, isn't it against the law for a company to categorize their customers, potential customers, applications, and patients? Hmm..

Either way, I'm more "spiritual" than anything. However, majority of people (atleast down south) don't understand this. I believe in God, I love God, I pray to God but, as you can see on my signatures, I agree with most of what Gandhi taught. Though I may not agree completely with everything, I see him as an excellent "leader" because he never claimed to be of higher power to anyone on this earth, he never claimed to "know" God, Jesus, Buddha, Barney - whoever you choose, and he never tried to start his own fan club (or, as we know them, cults). And I'm, certainly, not about to go out and tell everyone they're wrong for not agreeing with Gandhi.

My point being: There's nothing wrong with liberating your mind. It's not only your right as a human being, it's your right as an individual. If we weren't supposed to have the right to our own opinions, thoughts, feelings, beliefs, we wouldn't have the ability in the first place. And I don't think anyone has the right to try to "persuade" you any differently.

:flirt:  - Monopolized

You see, I'm all about respect and individualism - that's my thing. And I see all these people (individuals) crowding in a building every Wednesday, Sunday, whenever their meetings may be, and then they go home and curse like sailors, cheat on their wives/husbands, lie, steal, etc. Do I really want to aid that kind of behavior? No, I think not.

As far as that goes, I totally know what you mean.  I've always been up in the air with religion.  The only times I have ever gone to church was the one time I spent the wekeend at my grandparents and other times in which my grandparents were involved.  They never forced me...I'd just be curious about going.  When I was still in high school I attended Youth GROUP activities a few times with one of my friends.  I have to say that every single time I went they made me feel as though I was a horrible person.  In my eyes, that was just messed up.  You may ask why I went more than once?  Because after the initial time I was intrigued to see what other things I was doing that were awful in their eyes.

But...more to your post...

I have known so many people that spout their religious beliefs left and right...yet those people will go against those beliefs and then deny that they did anything wrong.  They do curse, cheat in school, cheat on their boyfriends/girlfriends, lie, steal, do drugs...and so on.  I don't like the whole religion thing very much.  And typically I'll keep my mouth shut about religion in general...all I know is that people can have their beliefs...and they should understand that I have my own beliefs...and if they don't like something about my beliefs...well that's their issue...life goes on.   :-)

I went to church when I was real little. My mom never forced me to go, she even let me sleep and doodle during preaching. I love her for that. There's a lot of parents out there who Baptize their babies, force them to go to church, etc. I'm completely against that. And I've thanked Mom several times for never Baptizing me - leaving the decision up to me.

I will say, though, as I've grown INTO an adult, she's been more and more pressuring about Christianity. Everytime she gives me advice or her opinion, it always end on a religious note. I can't stand it. She may not understand or agree with my views, but she goes along with it.

And, you're right, some people will criticize you the second you walk through the door - it's awful.

As far as lying, cheating, etc. Everyone does it. Personally, I've never cheated on anyone...but I've cheated on my homework every now and then when I was younger. I've lied before...but I don't make a point to lie and I can say I've never lied with the intentions of it being for my benefit. Atleast, not that I can remember. As I've matured, it's more of "beating around the bush". For example: Person A askes, "Is my boyfriend cheating on me?". I say, "I wouldn't date him." ...or something to that effect. In this instance, I don't want to answer my friend with the devastating fact or lie to them to spare their feelings. Instead, I "beat around the bush". I hope that makes sense.

Like I said, everyone sins. I just think it all depends on your intentions to determine how bad it really is. Grant you, some sins are just inexcusable, too horrific to even attempt justifying. I think it all depends on what you believe - religion-wise. Obviously, an Atheist may not believe sins even exist, for example.

I tend to avoid discussions like these, but since this is friendly, why not.

I'll say it right out front-I'm atheist. I don't belive in a higher being, but rather in science and evolution, just makes more sense to me.  However, I like learning about different religions and such-attempting to understand others and their beliefs.   I try to be very openminded, and I don't have a problem with saying "One Nation, Under God" everyday at school either-I'm pledging to my country, and thats that.  

What they did to that poor man is just wrong.  Most chruchs preach acceptance and kindness to all people, and then to do that...hmm I don't need to finsh that statement do I?

I have no problem with homosexuality-like jmukiki said

It's not like they woke up one day and said "Hey!  I think I want to be homosexual starting today."

I have some great friends who are homosexual and in my eyes this does not make them bad, sinners, evil ect. They just like somethin different.

I also went to some youth groups gatherings with some friends next door, and attended one of what they called "Special Sessions".  That was awful. You know what was special about it? Everyone who was there who was invited by a member of the church was pulled to the front of the room and denouced as a sinner and a tool of satan unless they accepted the beliefs of the church right then and there.  I was like 6, and the minister had no problem with holding my arm and yelling in my face. (I ended up getting extremely upset, told him that I was not a sinner, then kicked him between the legs and running home as it wasn't too far)

Religion can be a great thing-its helped pull people together in times of crisis, raise money for those in need and given aid to those who can't help themselves. But all this tends to be overshadowed when a chruch goes and does something like they did to that poor man.  I guess this just goes to SHOW that nothing is perfect and everyone is human. Doesn't make it right though. Okay I am going to stop rambling now..... :baa:

Important Information

Terms of Use