Dacity.Com

Being Judged Upon Religion

-Dodge-

Judging a person on what their religion is... that is totally wrong. Many people think, "If they are not (whatever religion the person is), then they are lesser beings than other Christians and I am."

What I mean by a "lesser being" is that they shouldn't have as much human rights.

Well, not only should they not have the same human rights; but their future in the afterlife is also affected. Religious fanatics always state that if you are not of our religion, you will perish in the afterlife and live out eternity in doom. It's nice that they have such a benevolent god who decides that people who were born in the jungles of South America should all die because they never became Catholics. Or that those who were baptized by full immersion should be condemned to hell, surely they should know that the sprinkling of water in baptism is the only way they can get to heaven. Or that in general, everyone in the west should be killed either in this life or the next because they are corrupt in their thoughts and morals and lives. How can we hope to become an intelligent society if we still persist in religious mentality that limits our interactions with others? How can religious zealots in America or the west ever hope to help out the "third world" when all they do is despise them for their religion and/or religious practices. There's no way you can ever respect someone and grant them the same human rights if you don't even believe they have a right to exist either here or in the afterlife.

I can't see why most people just can't get along. For a lot of the religions I've seen/heard about, they are almost exactly the same, they just have some different names. Why should I care what you call your god, if he does the same stuff mine does? Names don't really matter.

I'm sorry for anyone if they should for some reason take offense to this.

Edited by Mephisto

I can see how it is wrong into a certain extent. Religion will affect a lot of people's personalities, who they are, how they live, what they do and don't do. And when you get into worshiping the devil, that when I kinda say..ohkay that's a little to freaky for me.

-Becky-

Karl Marx decried religion as "opium for the masses". I it makes a little sense if you think about it. Have you ever seen how a drug addict reacts when you take away their drugs. The instant they are even told that what they are doing is unacceptable they go into fits of rage...

Sound familiar? (Crusades, Israel/Palestine, al-Qa'ida/Western World)

This isn't to say that all religion is evil. Just as all drugs are not evil, they need only be taken with caution. As long as you don't become obsessed with the idea the "My Way Of Life, Is The Best Way Of Life."

People just need to be open to the idea that they could be wrong. That Someone else might have a valid point. And that you don't need to just LISTEN to someone, but UNDERSTAND what a person is saying before you make ANY conclusions.

Karl Marx decried religion as "opium for the masses". I it makes a little sense if you think about it.  Have you ever seen how a drug addict reacts when you take away their drugs. The instant they are even told that what they are doing is unacceptable they go into fits of rage...

Sound familiar? (Crusades, Israel/Palestine, al-Qa'ida/Western World)

This isn't to say that all religion is evil. Just as all drugs are not evil, they need only be taken with caution. As long as you don't become obsessed with the idea the "My Way Of Life, Is The Best Way Of Life."

People just need to be open to the idea that they could be wrong. That Someone else might have a valid point. And that you don't need to just LISTEN to someone, but UNDERSTAND what a person is saying before you make ANY conclusions.

Well, the basic mindset of religion is this obsession. You HAVE to convert others if you want to better yourself in the afterlife. You HAVE to tell others about your religion, if only for their own sake. You HAVE to do what this certain book tells you because otherwise you'll burn and die without your 150 virgins. Religion doesn't allow for many open points and ideas, especially not the popular religions. Either their religion is right or you don't believe in it. What are the options? Those who are open-minded aren't really religious.

All religions tell the same basic facts. Its just that there may be different names for the God. Christians call Him Jesus, Muslims call Him Allah, Hindus have many Gods and so on. They all teach the same basic facts like tolerance towards others for example. The fanatics twist the teachings to suit their agenda.

Important Information

Terms of Use