Dacity.Com

[OLD]Stupid Computer Users

Okay... So I realize that there are people in the world that actually dont know how to operate a computer. style_emoticons/default/shocked.gif However, when your computer comes with a manual that says "Quick Start Guide", or "Read me first!", or "Basics of your new computer", it should give the impression that you actually should READ the manual if you dont know the slightest bit about computers (How to turn one on, etc.).

Since I am a Microsoft IT professional, even at my young age, I still help people with "Technical issues" on their computer for a small sum of money. My dad's house is in a quite busy city, so I have some ads about myself through the town. So I get calls alot regarding their "serious issues".

But what I hate, hate, hate, is when people call me, say their computer wont start, so when I go over, I find out that it wasnt plugged in correctly. Either that, or the button on the front, that says "Power" wasnt depressed. One time I even had a man that called me saying that his hard drive was completely error-filled and he couldnt save anything on it. So I came over, feeling that I may have to format the drive, etc. So I went on his computer and looked at the hard drive, etc. and I indicated to him NOTHING was wrong. He said "Oh no, not that one, this one!" He pointed to a floppy disk on the desk. I said "Sir, this isnt a hard disk. This is a floppy disk. You can get these at Staples for less than 50 cents a piece. I suggest you buy a new one."

Then there was a person who called saying that they bought a new modem that is plug-and-play compatible. She said that when she booted her computer as instructed in the manual, the computer didnt recognize it. I figured its just some easy driver configeration and it would be done in no time. Come to find out, when I looked to see what port the modem was in (COM 1, COM 2, or COM 3) physically on the computer motherboard since the computer couldnt identify it via the software, I noticed that this modem was not plugged into the motherboard all the way...Only about half. I pushed the other half into the motherboard, booted the computer, and BAM! It worked like a charm... style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

A few weeks after the modem incident, the same lady called indicating to me that she was upgrading her computer to windows 2000, and that when she came to the part of the installation that it asks for a "Product Registration Key" to make sure you dont have a stolen copy, she didnt have one on her box. I have a distributers copy of windows 2000 so I figured I could just pop that baby in with no problem.

I came over and she still had the computer on with that same screen that was asking for the product key. It said something along the lines of "...The product key can be found on the lid of the box or in the front of the Windows 2000 Manual." I looked on the front of the manual, and crystal clear was that key. I notified this to the lady and she said "Well I thought it said that you are supposed to look on the lid of the box only. I must have misread the part where it said its on the manual." How stupid! I mean, how could she have such a problem just because she didnt read it right... Most people would read it twice at least if they didnt understand... style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Those are the few incidents that I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll come up with more later style_emoticons/default/eyebrow.gif

I've always gotten a laugh from those that think the floppy is a hard drive or hard disk. And anytime I find someone like that, I tell them.. The disk isn't hard, it's only the cover that is. The disk itself is floppy, and so it's a floppy disk.

What also gets me is when someone thinks that turning off the monitor is turning off the computer.. Or referring to the computer itself as the hard drive.. Or a url/filename as a 'path way'

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif

One of my favorite things about dumb computer users is when they try to act technical with you, when they haven't the slightest clue as to what they are talking about. style_emoticons/default/dry.gif For instance, if you tell someone "Your harddrive is full, you need to upgrade to a higher capacity one." They'll say "Oh so I should Install RAM into my PC Board?"

You also wouldnt believe how many calls I've received about people and their DSL modems. Most DSL users use either AT&T or BellSouth. As for the BellSouth, the DSL modem comes with a nice installation utility that sets everything up for you so you dont have to do the old fashoned modem configuration style_emoticons/default/eyebrow.gif Lots of people have called me saying "When I install the DSL Software, it indicates to me that my computer doesnt meet the requirements. Does this mean my computer isnt good enough to run that?" Okay. All of us know that when there is a requirement, you must meet the requirement or something will not work... And then they say "This computer should be good enough. I have Windows 3.1 and 4 megs of Ram, and a 25 MB Hard drive!" Sometimes its just hard to get it through people's head that if you actually use your everyday vocab when you receive an error message on a computer, you may actually understand it. But then again, that may be too normal for the world today. style_emoticons/default/mad.gif

Oh and I forgot to throw in.. When people try to get technical with me who dont know what they're talking about, its very obvious. As I said above when people say "Oh, should I install more ram into my PC Board". Then they put on this look like "Oh yeah, I know about all this stuff style_emoticons/default/eyebrow.gif ". First off, When you need a hard drive you dont install ram. Secondly, its not a pc board. Its called a Motherboard. I even had one lady that when I was hooking up her color-coded computer, when I plugged in the mouse she said "Oh, so thats the actual mouse". What was it, the virtual mouse?

People scare me sometimes.... style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif

If I had been helping someone and got told they were running a system that could only support 3.1, I would start laughing.

Of course, I'm just a bit evil sometimes..

Anyway..

style_emoticons/default/smurf.gif

• 6 years later...

Important Information

Terms of Use