Dacity.Com

Windows XP and speed

I am using Windows XP SP-2. Formerly, I was using Win 98 SE and it worked with great speed. After installing Win XP, it takes so much time to start, open folders/programs, and also to shut down. I have checked it for virus, spyware, etc, but that portions are Ok. I have P4 1.7 GHZ with 256 MB of RAM. Is the slow speed connected with memory?

• 4 weeks later...
I am using Windows XP SP-2. Formerly, I was using Win 98 SE and it worked with great speed. After installing Win XP, it takes so much time to start, open folders/programs, and also to shut down. I have checked it for virus, spyware, etc, but that portions are Ok. I have P4 1.7 GHZ with 256 MB of RAM. Is the slow speed connected with memory?

Memory in your case plays a big issue.

Get at least another 256megs of RAM (I recommend you upgrade to at least 1gig). Also, change your paging file settings so that the minimum and maximum sizes are the same. I recommend 2048 as the size. This will reduce the overhead of resizing the paging file. Also make sure that you aren't running any unnecessary processes.

Memory in your case plays a big issue.

Get at least another 256megs of RAM (I recommend you upgrade to at least 1gig). Also, change your paging file settings so that the minimum and maximum sizes are the same. I recommend 2048 as the size. This will reduce the overhead of resizing the paging file. Also make sure that you aren't running any unnecessary processes.

Can you give me the tips and ways to do this process? It will be helpful to me.

Hi! Not sure if I should intrude or not...

To change your paging file, right-click on "My Computer" and click "Properties." Go to the Advanced tab and click on the button under Performance that says Settings. Click on the Advanced tab yet again. Your current setting and a button leading to more options is under Virtual Memory. I don't recommend turning your paging file off. I've done that before and the results are not pretty. Not even usable, for me.

Upgrading RAM is one of the easiest things to do in a PC, but if you don't know much (or anything, for that matter) about computers, I suggest that you go to a trusted friend who is knowledgeable, or go to a local computer shop. Actually, a friend and I upgraded his computer for an English assignment (don't ask). I've still got the handout around here somewhere. He can explain things better than me. If you think you can do it by yourself, the handout is informative. I could type it up on here.

Guess I really should have found my handout before telling you about it. Here is the section entitled "Upgrade memory" in full:

Steps:

1. Find out which kind of memory you have.

2. Insert memory stick in empty slot. (largest one goes closer to CPU)

Guess that means I should try and explain. The pics were taken with a cheap GE webcam. This is the highest quality that you're going to get unless you want me to break out my modded CVS ex-disposable video camera (which I may put up a little tutorial on, with Wolfie's consent, of course).

Required items:

Screwdrivers - Most of the screws on my system are Phillips, but yours may be different

Flashlight - Parts of your computer's innards are very dark and can easily be darkened more when your head is between them and the light

Grounded wrist strap - Not really required, but recommended for someone who is very new. Just don't ground it to the power supply...

New RAM - Explained later

Can of compressed air - Also explained later

Steps:

1. Disconnect all wires and open your case

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tdp88/Changing%20RAM%20in%20a%20computer/Jul28_12.jpg

This is the rear of my computer, with the larger screws on top. My computer has small screws on one side and large screws on the other. The large ones are the ones I have to take off to get to the goodies inside. Mine are large enough that I can just grab the screws themselves and turn them by hand.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tdp88/Changing%20RAM%20in%20a%20computer/Jul28_13.jpg

This is a picture of the inside of my case. Yours may differ. On the left, you will see my power supply and the case fan housing just above it. On the right is a frame that houses all of my drives. It contains three CD drives, a floppy drive, and the ever-so-helpful hard drive.

2. Clear some space!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tdp88/Changing%20RAM%20in%20a%20computer/Jul28_14.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tdp88/Changing%20RAM%20in%20a%20computer/Jul28_15.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tdp88/Changing%20RAM%20in%20a%20computer/Jul28_16.jpg

My case just happens to have a handy flap that the power supply and fan are mounted to. I unscrew the two screws in the top picture and it folds down, like the middle picture shows. My drive bay frame has a screw holding it in. After that is unscrewed, a lever can be pulled and the whole thing, drives and all, slides out (after the wires are disconnected, of course (BE SURE TO REMEMBER WHAT WIRE GOES WHERE!!)), as the bottom picture shows. It also shows the RAM. All of the disassembly steps I've taken may not be necessary. HP designed their computers badly, so some stuff has to be removed before maintenance can be performed.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tdp88/Changing%20RAM%20in%20a%20computer/Jul28_17.jpg

Just a closeup. Red is CPU heatsink. Yellow is RAM.

3. Remove the old RAM or insert new. This is the step where you find out what kind of RAM you have in your system.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tdp88/Changing%20RAM%20in%20a%20computer/Jul28_18.jpg

As this shot explains, my computer contains SDR RAM, which has two slots in it. This computer was bought back in 2000. Most, if not all, new computers contain DDR, which only has one slot.

To actually remove the ram, look at it. There should be two levers, one on either side. Push those out, away from the sides. The RAM stick should lift up as the levers are pushed. Once they're fully out, lift the RAM out. Look at the pins to find out what kind you have (one slot or two). Note that it's not recommended to mix RAM speeds. That just means that you wasted some money. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who reads this, but I believe RAM can only work as fast as its slowest stick. Place the largest stick (not physically, but by capacity) in the slot closest to the CPU, making sure to line up the holes in the stick with the slot in your computer. Push down firmly and the levers you pushed down earlier should come back up. When the RAM is fully inserted, ensure that the two levers "click" back into their slots. If you desire to insert the old stick, open the levers on the next slot back and put it in using the same procedure.

Congratulations! You've just upgraded your computer!

Now, if the insides are very dirty, you may want to use that can of compressed air we talked about. You can probably figure this one out. After that's done, reassemble your computer.

Important Information

Terms of Use